Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 9: A day in Ruhuna

We were picked up at the guest house for breakfast at 8am and by 9am I was back in the lecture hall. 

Today we focused on the carbonate system, solubility products and aragonite saturation. The students were shy during lecture but had many questions afterwards. 

All the fourth year students are conducting a research project and most questions were from these students looking for further references etc. We got a boxed lunch and worked until 3 pm when it was time for my seminar. The topic was organic contaminants for a broad science audience. I was impressed by the dedication of the faculty. Most have studied in Japan, Switzerland and Germany or the US and all are vested in growth and development. 

This university is young, only 30 years and there is a vibrant energy and collegiality among its faculty. After the talk I was given a lion statue as a thank you and then got an additional treat. One of the women in the Dean's office heard I liked saris so they whisked me away to a sari shop!!! It was so thoughtful and I will treasure it. 

Originally they wanted to get it sown so I could teach in it on Saturday but the seamstress was not in. I will have it done in time for lectures in Peradeniya.

Following the seminar. 

Sari shop

Generous gifts that I will treasure!



No comments:

Post a Comment