Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 8: Meetings and Teaching

Today we had a meeting with senior undergraduate student Amavi, who will be working on a 6 month dissolved organic carbon study, and I will have the pleasure of being her adviser. Amavi will monitor dissolved organic carbon  and nitrogen concentrations in five tributaries during this summer monsoon period and a little thereafter. We went through hypotheses and project design and she is now summarizing her experimental strategy. 

I taught the first of three sessions in chemical oceanography this afternoon. We covered the formation of oceans, the resulting chemistry of the oceans and residence times. When I dismissed the class nobody got up. I wondered if they wanted me to go onto the next lesson but Amavi signaled that I needed to exit the room before the students could stand. It was comical. 
What a nice ritual.

Summer monsoon rains are lovely when you watch from our office's dry grounds.
Students fill in for the lecture. 

Amavi and Thivanka at dinner. The restaurant is designed like a lecture hall so everyone gets the ocean view.





No comments:

Post a Comment